PE & Sports Premium Grant
Since 2013 the Government has committed funding to improving PE teaching and sport in primary schools. This funding is allocated directly to schools in the form of a PE & Sport Premium Grant, which can be spent on a range of activities such as:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- run sports activities with other schools
- enhancing playgrounds and improving children’s physical activity at break and lunchtimes
Schools with 17 or more pupils on roll receive £8,000 plus £5 per pupil per year.
Schools are accountable for how they spend their PE and sports grant and must publish on their website, details of how the money is spent and the impact this funding has on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment.