How we support children with SEND

Nunney First School is a happy and safe place.  We celebrate success and help all children to learn.

All children are welcome at Nunney First School.  We work with other school in Frome to support children.

At school we have a SENCO who makes sure that all children are supported in their classes.  Our SENCO is called Anna Honeyands.

This page explains how we support children with special educational needs and disabilities.

Key Words

There are lots of words we use in schools when we talk about SEND which may be new to you.  Here are what some of them mean.

APDR Assess, Plan, Do, Review.  This is how we check that children are receiving the right help at the right time.
EHA  These are forms we fill in when we need an external specialist to come in to school.  We write these forms with parent carers.
EHCP Education Healthcare Plan.  These are written for children with complex needs.
Local offer This is how Somerset supports children with SEND and their families
PFSA Parent family support advisor.  This person is available all year to support families.
SENCO The SENCO is a person who works at school and who makes sure that all children with extra needs are looked after.  They check that all children with extra needs are getting the help they need to learn.
SEND Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.  This is how children who require extra help are identified.
Transition Moving between schools, classes, times of day.  Sometimes we use this to mean change.


What types of SEN does the school provide for? 

Our school provides for pupils with the following needs:

Communication and interaction


Cognition and learning



Social, emotional, and health difficulties


Sensory and/or physical needs


How do staff at Nunney First School know if my child needs extra help?

Our SENCO is Anna Honeyands.  She works with teachers and TAs to check that children have the right support.

When children join Nunney First School in Early Years they can come in for stay and play sessions.  We also offer tours.  At stay and play sessions, you can meet the class teacher and talk about anything you are worried about. 

When children join from nursery or another school, our SENCO will meet with their SENCO and you may have a transition meeting.

If you think your child might need extra help, speak to your class teacher.  You can also have a meeting with the SENCO.

We check how all children are feeling and how well they are learning.  If the teacher is worried they will talk to you and the SENCO.

If a child needs extra help, this might be in a small group or just for them.  We will use tests to check what would help them.  Sometimes, we need to ask for extra help from professionals – we will meet with you to decide who to ask for help.

Somerset Graduated Response Tool 

All schools in Somerset use the Graduated Response Tool.  It makes sure that teachers are including all children in their teaching.  It also helps us to check what extra help some children may need.

You can learn more about the Somerset Graduated Response at:

How will I be involved in decisions made about my child’s education? 

You know your child best.  We make sure that you understand what we are doing to help your child.  We listen to what you think would work best for your child.  If anything changes, we ask you to tell us so we can change the support we give in school.

Teachers meet with parents twice a year.  They write a report in the summer term.  All children with an EHCP have a review meeting once a year.   We also hold meetings to set targets, check how children are working on these targets and talk about the help we give your child.  In these meetings, we may write an individual learning plan, which we call and ILP.  This will be shared with the class team and you.


How will my child be involved in decisions made about their education?

We ask children for their views and feedback.  The SENCO meets with children who have SEND and helps them to share their views.  The school actively seeks children’s views and feedback. We find children to be honest and insightful. She also asks them how we can change the support we give them to make it better.  

Teachers talk to children about their targets and they help them to understand how to improve.  

External staff such as speech and language therapists also meet with children to to review targets on and celebrate success.

What support is available for my child at school?

The class teacher plans and checks all children’s learning.

In school, your child may also be taught by teaching assistants, our tutor, the SENCO or external specialists.  Sometimes we ask for more advice from external specialists.

Staff may make changes to their teaching or use extra resources to help children learn.

If you would like to know more, please ask the SENCO.


How will the school measure my child’s progress? 

We use the graduated response tool to support all children. 

Any support we think will help will be checked through an assess, plan, do, review process – we call this an APDR. The class teacher checks that the support is working, if the child still needs help and if they might need more help. 

Some children need an EHCP to make sure that we get the best help for them.  This plan sets short and long term targets.  Class teachers check how children are working towards their targets every term.  They then choose to change the target, keep the target or add in more support.  The SENCO meets with parent carers, teachers and any external professionals once a year to review the EHCP.  Most children answer questions before this meeting, some may be able to come too.

The SENCO meets once a term with all teachers to talk about all children.  Teachers can ask the SENCO for help at any time. 

 How does the school support pupils with disabilities?

Nunney First School is fully accessible.

We have an accessible toilet and changing room.

We use additional equipment and communication aids for children who need them.  

We have an Accessibility Plan on our Policies page.

All of our extra-curricular activities and school visits are available to all our pupils, including our before and after-school clubs.

We help all children to go on school trips and make sure that any children needing support to go on a trip have it.  

No pupil is ever excluded from taking part any activity because of their SEN or disability.

To help some children, we may write an individual risk assessment.

How will the school support my child’s mental health and emotional and social development?


All our staff are trained to support positive mental health.  We promote this as a whole school in our lessons and assemblies.  We also run support sessions for children who need help.  

Children who need support with medical care, intimate care or behaviour will have a support plan.

Sometimes we get support from external specialists.  These include


  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Learning Support Advisory Teachers
  • Physical Impairment and Medical Support Team
  • Hearing Impairment Advisory Teachers
  • Visual Impairment Advisory Teachers
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Autism and Communication Advisors
  • Parent Family Support Advisors (PFSAs)

What support will be available for my child as they transition between classes or settings, or in preparing for adulthood?

Any child starting in Reception with SEN will have a School Entry Plan meeting.  This meeting is for the parent carers, pre-school staff, school staff, Early Years Area SENCO and any external professionals who help your child.  In this meeting, these people will make a plan to help your child start school.  They will check if staff need any training.

All families are invited to visit days at school.  This helps children and parent carers get to know the staff and the school.

In year 4, children get ready to move to middle school.  Our SENCO meets the SENCO at your child’s new school.  You may be invited to this meeting.  We check that the new school knows what help your child needs at their new school.  We also agree what we can do to make starting a new school a good experience.  Sometimes we arrange extra visits and make extra resources to help your child.


What support is available for me and my family?

If you have questions about SEND, or are struggling to cope, please let us know.

We want to support you, your child and your family.  There are lots of people who can help you and we can meet with you to show you how to get help.

To find out about help in Somerset and in Frome, please go to our Local Offer page.

What should I do if I have a complaint about my child’s SEN support?

All staff at Nunney First School want to help all children.  We are an inclusive school and are here to help.

Please talk to your class teacher first.  If your child has a keyworker, they can also help, as well as the SENCO.

You can find our Complaints Policy & Procedure by clicking on this link.

All icons used on this page have been shared by